Tabley House is the only 18th century Palladian country house in Cheshire. The house was built by the architect John Carr of York for Sir Peter Byrne Leicester, in 1767. Facing south the main central block has nine bays , and a splendid Doric portico reached by curved stairs. Set well back are two pavilions each linked to the central block by a curved passage.
The rooms which are open to the public are the original state rooms, those designed to impress. They include the Portico Room (the original entrance hall), the Drawing Room, the Common Parlour, the Dining Room, the Oak Hall, and the Gallery.
The Art Collection
Tabley House is home to a number of important paintings collected by the Leicester family, principally by the 1st Lord de Tabley, formerly Sir JohnFleming Leicester, Bt (1762-1827). From 1800 he was the most important patron of British art and artists with a particular interest in JMW Turner. Sir John, uniquely at the time, commissioned works to hang in specific rooms and this is no more evident than in the Drawing Room at Tabley where Turner’s ‘Tabley, the Seat of Sir JF Leicester, Bart.: Windy Day ‘ is displayed. Other artists represented include Lely, Lawrence, Dobson and Martin.
The Furniture Collection
Tabley House is home to a fine collection of furniture dating from the 17th to the early 20th century. It includes pieces by Gillow and Bullock, and others attributed to Chippendale, as well as to local craftsmen. There is also a 16th century Italian Spinette and 17th century English Virginal, both in working order.
Objects within the collection
The percentage of the Collection which is on display
The percentage of the Collection which is on loan
The percentage of the Collection in storage