Tabley House, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 0HB Telephone: 01565 750151 | Fax: 01565 653230 | Enquiries & Bookings

The Furniture

Tabley House is home to a fine collection of furniture dating from the 17th to the early 20th century. It includes pieces by Gillow and Bullock, and others attributed to Chippendale, as well as to local craftsmen.

The following is an outline of the furniture in the rooms:

The Old Entrance Hall: the wine table is stamped "Gillow, Lancaster". The original 1770s lantern is by Ince & Mayhew, restored by Plowden & Smith in 1998, courtesy of the Friends of Tabley. The George III mahogany coffers, hall chairs and pier tables were brought from other parts of the house.

The Drawing Room: the suite of 1760s mahogany furniture listed in the 1770 inventory has been reassembled here. Gilt pelmets were installed as entablatures above Carr's windows in 1840-45. Between the windows, there are gilt and 'pietra dura' console tables with late 17th century Genoese carved and gilt supporting figures. Above them are a pair of George II gilt pier glasses. The chandelier dates from ca. 1840 and is attributed to Osler, Birmingham.

The Common Parlour: this contains a suite of four Regency mahogany and rosewood side chairs with day-bed en-suite, all preserving their original leather upholstery. The Library table is Georgian.

The Dining Room: all the mahogany furniture in this room, along with the chandelier, is Georgian with the exception of the set of twelve Regency dining chairs.

The Oak Hall: the original Carr model of Tabley House and the design for the stables are displayed here. Curiosities include Roman statuary, a man-trap and an early (1819) hobby-horse. There is a memorial display for Tabley House School.

The Gallery: the pair of carved and gilded Rococo wall mirrors and console tables with Siena marble tops en-suite have been attributed to the workshops of Thomas Chippendale. Four magnificent settees, of a pattern similar to those commissioned from George Bullock by the Prince Regent for Napoleon in exile on St Helena, have now been restored by Spinks and are on display. The sofa tables and teapoy are by Gillow.

St. Peter's Chapel and the Old Hall Room: the interior of the Chapel retains almost all of its original fittings from 1675-8, including the high pulpit surmounted by a canopied sounding board and its Chaplain's stall decorated with gilded cherub's heads. The Old Hall Room re-uses the roof timbers from the original Chapel and is dominated by the fine, Jacobean chimney piece, dating from 1610, removed from the Old Hall when this collapsed in 1927.


Tabley House, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 0HB Telephone: 01565 750151 | Fax: 01565 653230 | Enquiries & Bookings